While on vacation in Navarre FL, I was so excited to get out and enjoy the beach life. Then I thought, why am I not doing this every day in NC? I’m literally 2 miles from the beach! I work on an island, you have to pass the beach to get anywhere here. Why was I taking our charming little town for granted? The answer is, I’ve lived here my whole life, except for a few years in California. I thought I had seen it all, but I haven’t even scratched the surface.
When we came home I decided to be a tourist in my home town. I picked up one of those tourist guides and found out there is actually a ton of things to do around here. I had no idea we had a dog friendly restaurant! Or that I could take a free stand up paddle boarding class. My point is, look at your town with your tourist glasses on.
I hear so many people complain about where they live. Especially military wives, they don’t get out and explore. They spend so much energy hating it that they can’t see any good. Here’s my tips for being a tourist in your town.
1. Go to your welcome center, if you have one. Get a tourist guide, free coupons, even a map. You may be surprised at what you find.
2. Ditch your car. Go downtown, or a place you haven’t been to in a while and walk around. You see things in a different light when you aren’t passing by in your car.
3. Go to your local farmers market.
4. Or get out of your town and find a neighboring town to do these things. Even if you’ve been there a million times.
5. Shop local.
6. Have lunch with a friend at a little hole in the wall place you’ve passed up before.
These are just a few little things but I truly believe in supporting our local economy and I think if we all looked at our towns like tourist do we would all be happy. Don’t let the day to day consume you to the point that you hold a grudge against your home town. This is a little easier for me because I do live in a tourist town but I believe every town has something great to offer.